With Outlook 2010 over IMAP to Google Apps/Gmail, the default setting is that when you delete an item, it is moved into ‘Trash’ instead of archived. This is a problem if you count on having those Archived items out there for future reference. (Trash is discarded after 30 days).
To change this:
- Click on File/Account Settings
- Doubleclick the e-mail account you want to change.
- Click More Settings
- Go to the Delete Items Tab
- Select '”Move deleted items to the following folder”
- Select the “All Mail” folder in the Tree View.
- Click OK
- Click Next and let it finish the setup.
That should do it. Now all deleted items will be Archived.